Thursday, October 15, 2009

On New Orleans visit, Obama tells critics, "I'm just getting started"

On Thursday, President Obama visited a town hall in New Orleans, Louisiana. Obama replied to his critics who claim he has completed little while being in office for 9 months, saying "I'm just getting started." Obama has gotten a lot of criticism for his visit in New Orleans. Even 4 years after Katrina, theres still about 60,000 homes abandoned, and about 1,500 people are still living in temporay homes. However, since Obama has taken office, 1.4 billion dollars has been sent to aid for those who have suffered from Katrina. Also, more than 1 billion dollars from the stimulus package has also been sent to Louisiana. Obama will spend less than 4 hours in the area, going to a charter school as well. Republican Representatives are dissapointed that Obama will only be spending a few short hours in the region, stating that New Orleans deserves more than a "drive through daiquiri."

I don't think that the delay in returning New Orleans to its normal state is all of Obama's fault. I think that the citizens of New Orleans need to take matters into their own hands. If they truly want life to be like it was before Hurricane Katrina, then they shouldn't wait for somebody else to come do a job that they have the ability to do.

1 comment: