Wednesday, October 28, 2009

U.S. set to pay Taliban members to switch sides

Experts of the region believe that creating a program to pay the Taliban to quit the orginization will buy temporary loyalty. On Wednesday, Obama signed a $680 billion defensive bill that will pay for military operations in 2010. The Taliban will be recieving $1.3 billion. The plan is to seperate the Taliban from their leaders, and put a stop to the surge against americans in Iraq. Sen. Carl Levin says that the Taliban are moitivated mostly by the need for a job and a loyal leader, not religion. The bill has been a main priority now after many Americans have lost their lives in the past few months. On Tuesday, 8 soldiers were killed in a attack in southern Afghanistan. Levin also says that many Iraqis have switched to our side due to the promise of jobs and anmesty of past attacks.

After what I have a heard of the Taliban, I don't think that they can be trusted. I think that $1.3 billion dollars is a lot of money, and what would they spend it on? I think whatever it is, it would only cause more problems for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment